10 FUN Things to do this Holiday
- Book Readings: Because people are too lazy to read these days, because of the popular saying “Whatever you don’t want a black man to know, put it in a book”, people are tending towards book readings where the author reads out excerpts of their book to the audience. This is a fun way to spend time if you’re a book lover and a social butterfly too; you get to read a book and have fun while you’re at it. Best part is, they’re free; you get a glimpse of the book first and decide if it’s worth buying. So smart.
- DIY Classes: There are so many classes these days that teach you how to ‘Do It Yourself”. From sewing classes to beauty, to wig-making, there’s so much to learn that will eventually help you save your hard earned money.
- Excursions: If you’re an avid instagrammer or social media enthusiast, you’d have stumbled across a couple of tour guides or travel blogs that specialize in hosting trips within and outside of Nigeria. The fun part is, whether you’re looking for a staycation in Epe resort or want to do it big in Zanzibar or maybe you’re just itching to climb the Olumo rock, there’s something for every pocket/budget.
Yard Sales/ Shopping Parties: Who doesn’t like shopping? Who doesn’t like discounted shopping? Take advantage of the holiday season, where vendors are bound to have lots of great discounts, to snag those pieces or items you’ve been secretly wanting all year long.
- Plays: This is something I just recently got into and I think you should too. There’s something so beautiful and compelling about watching a play, the actors on stage, so much energy and life in each scene, the costumes, the music (sometimes)…an experience to remember.
- Amusement Parks: Holidays are the best time to let your hair down and let the child in you come alive. In my opinion, one of the best places to do this is in a park. Thankfully, there are many new parks springing up in town, the Hi-Impact Planet and the refurbished Apapa amusement park are a few good ones. If you have younger siblings or kids, take them along and watch them have the best time ever.
- Beach: Spend the day at the beach, playing in the sand and in the water or just enjoying a picnic with family and friends; it’s a fun way to relax.
- Silent Disco: A new discovery, thanks to social media. The concept behind the Silent Disco is a party using wireless headphones and choosing your own music from 3 different channel options. Now, that’s something I cannot wait to try….sounds weird and fun, and I’m up for the challenge.
- Spa day: Another great way to relax and destress from the hustle and bustle of Lagos life and traffic…or just from the general work stress. Lie back and allow magic fingers work do their work on you.
- Concerts: December is the month of concerts in Nigeria, lagos most especially. Like, literally every artist will hold or be a part of a concert and this is your chance to put your dancing shoes on, let your hair down and have an amazing time singing and dancing along to your favorite naija jams.